Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Strange Japanese beliefs

I am unlucky enough to not have a change yet to visit Japan :) but from what I have read and heard from other fellow Japanese learners and few native Japanese mates, I came to know that there are an umpteen number of strange beliefs prevailing in Japan.

These are a few –

  • Eating peanuts will make your nose bleed. – I need to know what the Japanese peanuts are made of Lol
  • Leaving a window open while you sleep will give you a stomach ache. – I think this makes sense. If you leave your window open when you sleep, you might be a victim of burglary which will make you poor over a night and the next day you will be starving which would cause stomach ache Lol
  • Leaving a fan on while you sleep will make you sick and may kill you.- I have no idea how this works. Don’t they have summer in Japan?
  • Drinking soda (especially dark ones) will melt your bones. – Exactly! Even the coke spoils our teeth, I have read it somewhere! Coke contains caffeine which uses up the calcium in the bones.
  • Leaving a bottle of water outside your home will keep cats away – Are Japanese cats scared of water? Or the bottle? :) Well, I guess they do it in the Ozzie and UK as well, yeah?
  • If you cut your nails at night, you will not be with your parents when they die. – What if I bite nails and not cut at night?
  • If you lie down immediately after eating, you will become a cow. – Yes you probably will! Just eating and sleeping makes everyone a lazy cow :)
  • Black cats crossing the street in front of you cause bad luck – Hmmm! Sounds like an imported belief to me.
  • Stepping on the threshold is a bad luck – why have a threshold then? :)
  • It's disrespectful to take pictures of tombs or even to point at them. There is a belief that it is disrespectful to the spirits of the dead.
  • They believe in the blood types – Refer Blood Types Culture in Japanese
I so wish I would have a chance to visit Japan and experience it all, at least once before I die :)

PS: This list might get added as I come across more such beliefs.

EDIT: Adding few more such superstitions

  • If you play with fire, you will wet your bed - Should have been said to keep the kids away from fire
  • A cold mid-section will cause diarrhea - Sounds biologically correct :)
  • The first dream of a new year will come true - Now I wish I could remember what my first dream of this year was! :(
  • Breaking a comb or the cloth strap of a “geta” wooden sandal breaking is an omen of misfortune - Interesting!
  • Stepping on the cloth border of a tatami mat brings bad luck - Got no clue why though?
  • If you go to a funeral, you should throw salt over yourself before entering your home - Well, the same is done here in South India as well but we use turmeric dissolved water instead of salt. It is for the sake of cleansing, I believe.
  • You should never write a persons name in red ink - I have done it umpteem number of times. Nothing scary seem to have happened for them.
  • If you catch a crow's eyes, something bad will happen - The South Indian version of this superstition would be, "If you see a dark black fat crow (called as Andankaaka in Tamil), it is luck!" or "If a crow flies just above head then it is a bad luck"
  • If you see a spider in the morning, it means good luck so you shouldn't kill it, but if you see one at night, it means bad luck so you can kill it - What ever! I hate spiders with all my soul and heart

0 comments :

Post a Comment